Saturday, May 14, 2011

a lot can happen between fights


May 12, 2011
After, count ‘em November, December, January, February, March, April, six months it finally stopped raining.
On Sunday, as I’m sure you all know, Pacquioa had a fight. We were going to go see it at the movie theatre but decided that 450 pesos was just not worth it and 6 in the morning was really not worth it. Instead I watched the fight at home with my Auntie. It was nice. It would have been nicer if Mosley had actually decided to show up that day, but Manny handled it well. That South Paw is so fast, he for sure does not float. And to think, some people are lucky enough to have him as their congressmen.
The fight had me thinking of his last fight. I had just got to site, and maybe like Mosley I was scared and barely fighting. In fact, I know I was scared. I was all alone in the world and went to the mall to see a movie, any sort of reminder at home would do. Low and behold the theatre was closed because of the fight. This pert near broke me and I was amazed that they could do this. Oh how I’ve changed!
After helping C on a project at her site the other day I was getting on a Jeep to head on home. The conductor knew I lived in Alang Alang and was excited to get me home. However, there was no room in the back. No problem I squeezed in the front. There were five us up there. Three passengers, the rider, then me hips barely fitting in the seat between the driver and HIS door. I awkwardly hung out the window and thought I love my life! Just around Sta Fe the engine over heated so we stopped for water. Because there was now free space on the other side they had me run around to sit shotgun next. Just outside Sta Fe the other lady in the front got out and was replaced by a less than sober guy who kept telling me how nice Alang was. I just laughed and trusted the driver would keep things straight.  When he got out at my site I rode a block or two down the way. Just a typical day in the Philippines. Six months ago I would have not been so que sera sera about it.
As I mentioned before, the rain has stopped (other than the occasional typhoon) and now it is so stinkin’ hot! There is not much as far as AirCon in town so of course you head on in to the mall. I was sitting there drinking my royal milk tea with tapioca pearls checking my email on my iPod (probably the best thing I brought here next to my head lamp) when I noticed a little girl right over my shoulder. I started talking to her. She will be 11 in December, will be in 5th grade, lives in Palo, plays guitar, and has an older brother who is not at the mall today. While I’m talking to her 4 more people sit on the bench, making it 6 (there was a weird guy on when I sat down). Then her sister comes and I get the run down on her. Neither one of them are married because they are only kids, there mother is upstairs talking and were curious about where my mother was. These two girls were standing so close I could feel their breath on me. Four of the people on the bench had left, but the girl next to me didn’t see a need to move on down. It was so Filipino. Six months ago I had a huge bubble and never would have gotten the bubble tea with the tapioca pearls.
I’m getting braver and loving life more because of it. Reflecting back to how I felt that first week at site and how I am doing now makes me feel really great about things. I came back from vacation empowered. I feel like I own this place, and ever for the most part know Tacloban. I know how much things should cost, people don’t rip me off, and I can pretend to speak the language some days.
I am a volunteer!

No comments:

Post a Comment