Saturday, October 16, 2010

eye of the storm

October 15, 2010
This post may be boring, but don’t think I’m not having an adventure any more. I really don’t have any thing of even to say. Last week was a lot. The weeks leading up to last week were a lot. It left me just about exhausted. So this week was one those just going through the motions weeks.
On Monday we went on a bumpy field trip to a Cebuano speaking area of Leyte. It was the farthest South I’d even been in my life. We had that realization in the van and very quickly after felt very stupid, because here nine weeks in is when we realized that before Monday we’d actually been living at the southern most point we’d ever been. The things the tired mind dwells on.
On Wednesday we went into Tacloban and made a Waray Waray scavenger hunt. For my group it was pretty uneventful, but the other group did get a citizens arrest for jaywalking. That was exciting for them, but not really my story to tell. the only excitement my team had was amazing cinnamon rolls, which don’t get me wrong, is very very exciting, but even the jailbirds got those also.
Thursday was my last day teaching during training. Next week the kids are doing their second term English test so we are going to watch that, and school is cancelled Wed (I’ll tell you more about that later), there is scouting Thursday and Friday (more on that later) and a farewell for us on Thursday. The following week is a teachers’ in service and our PACA project. Then the following week is our language test, then swearing in, and then site!!
Things are going to be intense next week and the weeks to follow, so it was probably good to have a calm week.

*This weekend we got our first tropical storm/typhoon texts from Peace Corps for Megi. It didn’t apply to us here really, but we did get some extra rain. I’m very curious to see what these things are like, but in a safe way of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment