Friday, January 07, 2011

holiday identity crisis


December 27, 2010
Well, Christmas was made for Filipinos that is for sure!
My school program and party was wonderful. Which is a good thing, because the whole week before hand was devoted to getting ready for this party. We decorated, and cleaned, and rehearsed and organized.  And all went without a hitch. The classes had a lantern contest. Which was actually an overall classroom decoration contest. Which was actually just the student teachers decorating while the kids waxed and buffed the floors. My class took second, but I think the judges were biased; after all they gave themselves first. The program was amazing. My favorite part was this chubby second grader dressed up as Santa throwing Juicy Fruit into the audience. After all the different performances we went and had our class parties. Lots of food, games and fun! The student teachers were in charge of parlor games, my CP and I did the catering arrangements, and the kids had fun. Then we went home.
The partying didn’t stop there. The town party was quite an event also. It started at “6:00” we left the house at 7:00, sat around for almost 45 minutes waiting. Then a huge rainstorm came in during which all of DepEd was huddled under a tent only slightly bigger than my current bedroom (not big at all). Then the power went out. Then the rain let up and the power came back and they finally let us eat. Lots of food as always. Then they had a Live Belen (Nativity) contests. Most of them were super somber and rehearsed and really put together. DepEd's, not so much. They were trying to convince me to be Mary because I am white and everyone knows Mary was white herself. I’m glad I declined, because their Belen included one of the Barrio Principals dressed as Baby Jesus. At this party the dancing didn’t start until almost midnight, and I went home with my teachers and didn’t get to practice my cha-cha.
The week leading up to Christmas was full of lots of gatherings also. Going to Tacloban to celebrate M’s birthday, going to Death Anniversaries, birthday parties, other Christmas events, all-leading up to the big day. And as the day drew nearer the dread grew stronger. Let me just tell you, the idea of being 1000s of miles away from home on Christmas is way worse than the reality. The worse part is the dread of how terrible it is going to be, and doing whatever you can to will it not to come. But then it does and everyone is super cheerful and everything is fine.
On Christmas Eve we went to service, and then it turned midnight and the firecrackers were insane. I was impressed, and I come from a state where you needed a shopping cart or two to properly celebrate the Fourth of July. Then the noise finally stopped and I slept, and woke up and it was Christmas. Simple as that. The strangest thing did happen, the kids went…well…trick-or-treating. They all had bags, and were going door to door saying merry Christmas singing a bar or two of some song and then they got candy.  Then for lunch we went to the mall, stood around outside for a long time for the place to open, ate, came home, and then did nothing the rest of the day.
On Sunday we went to the Parish Family Christmas Party. We had mass, we ate, we raffled, we played games, we danced, and again had some fun!
Now today, I’m exhausted from the week and a half of partying.
Maupay Nga Pasko!

No comments:

Post a Comment