Wednesday, February 16, 2011

skin-a-ma-rink-a-dink-a-dink, skin-a-ma-rink-a-doo, i love you!

February 17, 2011
I’ve been in the Philippines for 6 months! I love that! This week was Valentine’s Day! I love that! To celebrate this blog is about other things I love!
Meryenda! Everyday for recess my counterpart and I have banana-ques and talk with the other teachers at my school.
Teaching! A lot of volunteers come to the Peace Corps not wanting to be teachers, so when they say they love teaching here believe it, but imagine just how much truer it is for someone who actually came in from the education side of things. For Valentine’s I had the students write poems and I taught them Skin-a-ma-rink. They loved it! I love that all those songs and games we just grow up knowing are brand new to them. New favorite, Heads Up Seven Up! Try it at your next office party!
Working with my school! I’ve been lucky (at most times) to have the chance to work with student teachers. Once last month one of the student teachers asked if he could use some of my activities in his own class. How is that for stability? Also I have a lot of support with my staff for the ideas I want to bring to the table.
My walk to school! I love that on my walk to school I am called: ma’am, teacher, friend, atay, sister, cousin, American, beautiful, and the most affectionate hey you!
Mail! It shows how much people are behind me at home. I love that I got the last of the Christmas packages on Valentine’s Day! I also love how much the people at the Post Office love me. I’ve spent almost every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday checking on those packages. The ladies are more excited than me when I get one (almost)!
The conductors! The Jeepneys know my stop. Doesn’t matter which one I hope into at Campetic they all let me off at the same eskiana. Even the Jaro Jeeps! The conductors and drivers talk to each other and they all know where to let off the young American. The other day I was walking along the highway in Palo, a Jeep from Alang Alang slowed down and honked the driver waving. It made me very happy!
Rain! Haha as much as I hate it I love it. This past week it has been hot and humid, and I’m fairly confidant I prefer wet feet to sweaty all over!
Site mates! D is the best! I’ve been doing things here and there with her. I even helped her at school one day! Also my extended site mates! I love my Palo and Tacloban people, and have very heavy boots about M leaving. I also love my Region mates! I miss K and L way up in N Samar, hopefully I’ll be seeing them soon. And also my island mates, hopefully I’ll be able to see more of them.
My readers! Most of you are my family and friends, and I love you! I’m loving what I am doing, but some times I really miss you guys! Thanks for all you do for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment