Saturday, March 12, 2011

insert gloria gaynor quote here.

March 11, 2011
A friend of mine once sagely stated that only the survivors survive. Heck yes for those random moments of cafeteria wisdom. Well I am a survivor and I am surviving.
I’ve not been evacuated, and am staying put as advised by PC Safety and Security. When deemed safe here is what one does in case of tsunami (or as Filipinos say choo-nam-ee,):
-Encode 4th contact tests for grades IV, V, and VI. All there major tests are next week and I said I’d type them up for my teacher. After that stick a fork in school it is done. Except for that whole two plus weeks we still have class thing.
-Check out the local happenings. Tonight is the Junior and Senior prom. It was very similar to the last prom I went to but this one had popcorn. Take that Palo. And the girls had more dress to their dresses.
- Walk around the town. Today it rained all day so tonight is really nice temperature wise. I’ve done some walking around, but I really enjoyed my stroll tonight.
-Get text blasted. Peace Corps sent texts way ahead of time telling us who needed to find higher ground (I did not). My warden called me, and is still sending me updates. I’m very far inland, and more than 50 feet above sea level. I’ve also kept in contact with my red zone friends.
-Listen to podcasts. Current fave is NPR Tiny Desk Concert. The Adele one is only 3 songs long but I can listen to it for hours!
-Feel loved. My sister-in-law works the grave yard shift and saw on the news the details. She called her husband (i.e. my brother) who then called my paps. He interneted and saw that Leyte was a target island. He knows I live inland but sometime head into town for the weekends, and it it was 3 in the morning and he wasn’t thing straight. So he called to make sure his favorite daughter was alive.
So here I sit. I’m sure if I had a TV. I’d be more aware of the situation and might be more freaked out about this. But as is the cable has been out for what I’m sure is years, or a month. So here I sit debating a game of solitaire. I would go to bed, but there is a prom bumping outside my window.

This girl doensn't have cable either. On my walk home from school I saw her watching TV under the gate.

In other news, I did run out of tea this week. Don’t know how I’ll survive that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment