Saturday, October 22, 2011

the time the president came to town

October 22, 2011
Remember a few months back how the Vice President came to town? I still have no idea why. Well now, without having to go to far I’ve seen the President also. Here’s the story.
Last week my kids who had their dance they won at the Pintados in Tacloban in June were told they were dancing during Leyte Landing for the President. The kids were so excited, and I was so skeptical. We were told last year the President was coming and he didn’t. I guess the year before they were told he was coming, but he didn’t. So I was not holding my breath (same response when I heard the Vice President was coming), and kept my interest on the typhoon coming in that never happened.
On Tuesday I got a text from my Regional Manager saying the Leyte volunteers were invited to the same dinner we were invited to last year, but we needed to RSVP because this time the US Ambassador (his Excellency) was coming. C, who was told to arrange the invite, thought that the Ambassador would not be to the dinner. The dinner was good. The show was good; there was fireworks a theatre show and a dancing performance. The Ambassador did in fact come, along with all of his entourage but didn’t see us.

Next morning we woke up early to do the Peace Walk again but this year we only had three of us (last year was close to 20). We’d been told that the Ambassador had wanted to see us, so we tried to arrange this but they weren’t going to let us on the other side of the blockades, but they were nice enough to let us sit in the back of the veterans group. While sitting a lady came and let us sit with her group in some better seats. They were announcing arrivals of people, and then there was a chopper overhead and they announced the President. He really came.
left to right starting at podium: Canadian Rep, US Ambassador, Governor of Leyte, President Aquino, Mayor of Palo, Australian Rep, Veteran Rep from US, Priest giving a prayer (yes I took the photo op of a prayer, judge not)
He spoke. Our Ambassador spoke, the Japanese Ambassador spoke, some reps from Australia and Canada spoke, and the Mayor of Palo, her son the Governor of Leyte and the President spoke. They then had a parade that my kids were in. Then they got to dance. The actually danced for the President. That thought makes me so happy for them, I would have been so sad for them had he not come. Then they quickly moved the President out of there. What a morning.
In the afternoon C and I spent a nice day at a Tapos eating, drinking, talking and laughing. Leyte Landing the second time was just as good as the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment