Saturday, July 09, 2011

the parade left without me


July 4, 2011
I think if I weren’t sick today I’d be super upset that I’m missing one of best days of the year ever July Fourth. Being sick I’m missing everything.
This past week was fiesta in Tacloban and the Region 8 volunteers had a slot in the parade to celebrate 50 years of Peace Corps. We got candy, and bubbles, and t-shirts. All our counterparts and supervisors were invited. I was going to be able to see volunteers I’d not seen in awhile. Some I’d not even seen since August (which was almost a year ago, weird).
We got together and I get to see these people for about an hour, then it all went down hill from there. By the time I got home from the mall I was feeling so awful. I drank so much tea, and a bunch of emergenC (shout out to the V!), so much water, and made some Chicken Noodle soup (the real stuff, Campbell’s), and giving myself amazing good vibes.
I need to work on my good vibes, because Wednesday I woke up feeling fine, but as soon as I got out of bed and got over that rest high I felt awful. So I went back to bed and proceeded to get a fever. Meh.
Woke up on Thursday to the same old song and dance. D came over and talked me into going to the hospital in Tacloban. I peed in a cup,  had some blood drawn, and told to wait for results then I’d go to the ER. Apparently because of fiesta the doctors all decided to not do their job. So we sat and waited and watched the stray dog with no hair suffer from some fleas. Then a doctor came (I don’t know from where, and I never went to ER), and gave me some drugs and sent me on home. Stopped at mall, got worse then headed home.
Friday was just as bad and by the time I went to bed I had the added nausea, dizziness, anxiety, and was soon to discover the insomnia of those drugs.
Obviously it was a very long weekend. When I talked to the family yesterday they could tell I was not myself and I for sure did not feel myself. Today I’m feeling better. It is hard being sick, but it is super hard being sick in an environment so very different from home, but it all is making me stronger ya?

p.s. It could be worse. On Wednesday when I was missing the parade K, S, and B were on a plane to Manila for medical. K had been sick for weeks and had heard several things including typhoid fever. Turns out he had mono and it kind of affected his liver as it tends to do. B was super super sick but is already back. And S had her appendix removed on Friday. I was so afraid that was going to be me, but I guess she meets our batch quota (I guess each batch has had one person get an appendectomy. I told C how relieved I was it was S not me, but then she said maybe because our batch was double we’d have two.  I told her that was not funny at all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment