Monday, August 15, 2011

home and away

August 14, 2011
This past week was a long one, but you know what? It ended well. Friday was Home and Away Games and the week was spent in prep for that. Which means teachers were in babysitter mode and students were in babysittee mode. I didn’t get this memo, and failed miserably at trying to have class. Even when I tried to play educational games it was a bomb. The closest I came to an organized English based activity was playing telephone. It worked well once I explained the idea is to be silly, not perfect.
Through out the week kids were being pulled out all hours of they day to practice. I had said I would help, but decided this year I wanted to be an active audience and next year I would help. A big part of this decision is no one really could tell me what it was about. I think I figured it out. Part of the curriculum is a PE type aspect. Here they meet that by doing a Sports Fiesta (some towns call it intramurals) every year for a week. Then later they will have a provincial meet, and depending on how that goes continue on to the next level. So three random weeks out of the year they get PE, and by they I mean a select number of students. This is why I am arranging a sports club with the high school.
That being said, Friday was quite an event. We started with a parade and then had a program. It wouldn’t be the Philippines without a parade and program. Then the kids started competing in badminton, chess, running, softball, basketball, volleyball, futball, throwing events, baseball, gymnastics, high jump, table tennis, and of course the pageant.
In the morning it was a scorcher and I felt sorry for all those kids out there in the sun. They stood in lines for a good hour during the program and then went and played with no shade to be found. Then in the afternoon it was pouring, and only basketball could continue because it was at a different venue that was covered.
Very interesting day, and I was glad I got to watch all the happenings.
It was so hot, this is one my pupils using my shadow.



VIP seating means you can touch the speakers.

It was a very beautiful day, even if it was hot.

Waiting to get started.

Go!


No comments:

Post a Comment