Monday, August 15, 2011

just a typical saturday as a volunteer

August 13, 2011
There are certain rites that every volunteer goes through to become even more a volunteer. Here in Philippines these are mainly amoebas and becoming a God Parent.
A while ago the big thing at school was to call me foreign and then whatever it was. We went to a birthday party and I was the foreign guest. I was the foreign teacher. Foreign everything. So at recess one day they teased me and said I could the foreign God Mother of another teacher’s baby. I made it very clear that I was about as rich as I was Catholic (these are both important things in choosing a God Parent, unless you are white-that trumps all) and we all laughed. The mother-to-be not saying anything. Then they all laughed and we went to class. Never to speak of it again.
Until Tuesday. The teacher was there and she asked me if I remembered what I said I would do. I quickly scanned my mind and thought maybe she did want me to be her daughter’s God Mother. I said I think so and then she was telling me to be at the church on Sunday at 9. That was that.
I showed up at 9:15 and was the first. Then the baptism was at 10:00. The baby, Julie Ann Claire, has 10 Godparents-two padis, and eight madis. I’ll let the other 9 worry about her eternal salvation, and just continue to stress I am not a rich American.
After was the Christening party and the food was so tasty. I love when the food is so tasty.
The whole family, they really wanted a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment