Friday, September 09, 2011

not the most august August


September 6, 2011
Not going to lie, I’ve been kind of ignoring the blog.
These past few weeks have been very trying and with lots of personal things I’ve had to go through. To spare you the details I’ll late it out simply for you. I had the flu, which in itself is nothing I can’t handle, although running a fever in 80 degree 100% humidity is no picnic. My site mate left, which in itself is nothing I can’t handle, and something I’d been preparing for, but I was expecting November and not a text saying I’m leaving the day after tomorrow. I’ve been dealing with sick grandpas, which is hard but in itself nothing I can’t handle, but both being sick and my mom’s father passing way does make it a bit more of a challenge. Then there is the fact that all this took place at the exact same time, and truth be told I couldn’t handle it.
If there is something to be said about having things all fall apart at once it does help you not to focus on any one thing too too much. Ideally I would have liked to get lost in work, but lately very little teaching has been going on. So at first I focused on getting healthy, and took a personal weekend in the city. It is amazing what hot showers, air conditioning, cable, a real bed, mostly consistent Internet, and a lack of roosters can do to all aspects of your health.
So I’m recovering from that, and this week we started teaching again. Sort of. At first we weren’t but the evaluation tomorrow, that was actually suppose to be on August 26, has been moved to Monday. This evaluation has been the reason for the lack of lessons. However, we also got student teachers this week! So instead of continuing prep for this evaluation we’re teaching for them to observe. I can’t tell you how excited I am to have student teachers again. I’ve always sort of struggled with how much my students need me, and the fact that I’m fairly stuck with them. The other English teacher for Grade 5 and 6 is about to retire and doesn’t want to work with me (not in a mean way, she’s just done). Also there is no sustainability in that. But student teachers, they love to learn. Last year when I was working with them it made me feel so useful. Hopefully I get the same return this time. The student teacher I got is super sweet and I really like her. We’ll start co teaching next week after the evaluation.
So that is the update on me. I’ve not forgotten that I’ve been here a full year! That blog post is forth coming, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment