Friday, September 09, 2011

tapos na?


September 6, 2011
More adventures in awkward.
I don’t know if you recall but about a month ago two of my neighbors that were both high ups in DepEd passed away. I’d mentioned all the events we had to go to and the Catholic process, but there is more. Today was Tapos (that is strictly my spelling), which is the prayer mass held 40 days the death. They have an altar and they light candles and give offerings and food. Kind of a way of ensuring happy ever after.
Yesterday I was invited to go to a specific Tapos at lunch and the teachers said they would wait for me at the corner. The corner of the street in between where the two houses where the deaths occurred. I waited and waited and finally teachers called me over and they had a seat saved for me and I sat. We got up to get food and when we sat back down the thought occurred to me I was at the wrong Tapos. Sure plenty of my teachers were there, and sure they saved me a seat, but these weren’t those teachers that invited me yesterday so this probably wasn’t the chair I was suppose to be at.
It was terribly awkward for me from that point on, but I also realize I doubt that anybody noticed and no one from either teacher group seemed to think I was a tool for being at one house and not the other. I just can’t help but wonder if maybe the food at the house was more delicious. Is that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment