Monday, December 19, 2011

32-point turns in a bus

December 17, 2011
I’ve spent the day in bed listening to Elvis lament about snow, wishing the rain was loud enough to drown out the day care Christmas party that has been listening to ‘Mommy Kissing Santa Claus’ for the past 4 hours, wanting some Ginger Ale and saltines for my stomach. Quite a contrast to yesterday, except for my stomach not being happy.
Friday I went on a field trip with my teachers. Coming into it I knew nothing, other than departure was 6:00am. So, I rolled out of bed at 6:00, got ready, and walked to school where I saw all my teachers wearing yellow (no one told me, I was in gray), bundled up in coats to get on the three charter buses (no one told me, no protection from the AirCon). There I sat on the bus and waited about an hour to leave. The bus stopped about two hours in and a half dozen teachers got off and were sick on the side of the road (I’d been feeling kind of sick since I went to bed, but no incident). Than we drove on and stopped, this time to turn around. Three giant busses turning around on a narrow road no wider than most peoples drive ways.
We’d been invited to visit a school that was really nice. It had a bunch of stuff my teachers wanted but probably won’t ever get. Than from there we got back on the bus for the beach. All the teachers asked if I had my swimsuit (no one told me, so waray). We drove down the road a bit and turned around again. We set up at a resort to eat lunch (no one told me, so no bag lunch). There was plenty of rice and food to share and it wasn’t soon until teachers were throwing back warm beer, with questionable ice, and warm coke. I declined, claiming something about my stomach and the bus. No one of the teachers went swimming.
After enough food and drink we all piled back in the busses to head back, right as it started to rain and get dark.  We didn’t make any stops this time, but people were still sick and calling for plastic bags through out. Again I maintained, but I didn’t feel good.
We were suppose to go to an integrated party in the plaza but I didn’t feel that good, so I went home with several other teachers and my principal.
Despite the stomach it was a nice break away from site, and I was glad they included me.

They made me pose with some local pupils.

All the school heads for Alangalang

No comments:

Post a Comment