Monday, December 19, 2011

second time around


December 8, 2011
How did it get to be one full week into December already? It is weird to me that from here on out most things I do I’ve probably done before. So my actions and thoughts so far.
I’ve been super busy helping to plan an HIV/Aids training that didn’t happen. At first it was suppose to be last Monday and Tuesday but DepEd didn’t approve it. Then it was suppose to be today, tomorrow, and Saturday, but the caterers bailed yesterday so we are postponing. It’s been a lot of work and I’m very grateful for all the volunteers who’ve helped. I was asked by D’s old counterpart to help, and I couldn’t say no to the sustainability that was going on. We are hoping for January now.
I’m glad I’d had this to focus on coming back from break, because school has been a bit less than school like. Last week was a Pres Conf that they were prepping for like crazy. This week (today actually) was English Month culmination so we prepped for that. I got in some great bonus lessons with my kids, one I posted about already. We also wrote amazing stories and played hilarious charades. These kids are amazing. Also, I got some pen pal letters all the way from New Mexico that all my kids were so stoked for.
Friday we lighted the trees in the Plaza. They will be judged three times and the winning tree gets some sort of major reward, but I don’t know what. It was a nice activity, formal like things tend to be here, but not quite boring. We even got to light those floating lanterns. I’m excited for Christmas in the Philippines again.
Sunday a volunteer in Tacloban and I ran a 5k. Philippines Red Cross was having a Million Volunteer Run. It was a great event and I’m glad I didn’t have to do it alone. There were maybe 500 hundred of us and M and I were the only foreigners that participated.
The English competion today was a great event. The kids really love events like this. They kept saying, “You will picture me?” Meaning I should take their pictures. It was like last year, but with less events.
Tomorrow is the LGU sponsored teacher day. Last year it was food, rewards, and free mugs. I let you know if it is any different this year.
Just like last year December is packed full of activities but not much is getting done. This really bugs the American in me; the Filipino in me (I feel like I can start to say that now) is really embracing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment