Sunday, April 22, 2012

wat are you looking at?

Yesterday was amazing. My friend took me to see some of the temples in Bangkok.
First we went to a Hindu shrine. She showed me how to do what you do at one. We lit a candle and incense. Then went to all the four sides and asked for something, left incense and flowers.
After that we went to where the wats are. We took the train and then a boat. I had my first in Thailand Thai Tea. Which is my favorite. Then I had my first noodles. Which is my favorite, but I have a feeling it will all be my favorite.
We tried to go to the palace, but it was closed for the cremation of a princess.
So, on to Wat Pho. Um... Wow! Wat Pho is one of the temples with a huge leaning Buddha (I think the guy said 3rd largest). It was amazing, check back with me in 6 months for pictures! Then we had coconut ice-cream (Philippines, we need this) and buko juice. Then we had battered and fried jackfruit. Then we went and had Wat Pho foot massages, which I guess is a big deal. I wasn't brave enough for a Thai massage.
From there we crossed the river to the Temple of the Dawn (I can't recall it's Thai name). This is the Wat that is most associated with the Thai skyline. It was amazing. We were able to climb up and look out. Very calm place.
From here we went to the mall, mainly for the aircon. Felt like home. We met her sister and her boy friend and went to a sea food restaurant. We had a fried fish, Thai fried rice with prawns, a really spicy soup, noodles with prawns, squid curry and some sort of shellfish on ice. It was enough for 6 and we had to do a doggy bag, which I guess isn't that common here. I think my favorite was either the curry or the noodles.
Then home where I slept like a champ.
Favorite part of day: the feeling of smallness (maybe) when I first walked in and saw the leaning Buddha.

No comments:

Post a Comment